Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Briam

You may remember that on Sunday I was invited to a house warming party and wanted to take a Greek dish. Why Greek in particular you may ask. Many of the people attending are companions on regular bi-annual holiday trips to Greece and Corfu so when they meet up the food has a Greek theme. Part of this event was to share photos and videos of the group's last trip back in May. Anna, the hostess, is trying to get me interested in going on one of these trips in the future.
I've never cooked a Greek dish and after a quick trawl via google I decided to go for simplicity and make my own version of Briam. This is the end result- but was it a success I hear you ask- well let's put it this way I brought home an empty bowl!! Oh and I cooked it again yesterday so that Embee can try it and because I rather liked it myself and I had lots of vegetable to use up. I think it would probably freeze quite well but I haven't tried that this time.


Method:
Chop up the veg. (I chopped smaller that was recommended) I won't put quantities because you can vary to suit yourself.
I used:

Aubergines (Eggplant)
Courgettes (Zucchini)
Green Pepper
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Onions (red and white)
Bunch parsley (chopped) + some to garnish
Garlic (4 cloves could probably have put a few more)
Salt and pepper (seasoning)
Cup of stock
Half cup of Greek Olive oil (vary to quantity of veg).

Place the chopped vegetables in baking dish add stock and oil (I actually used a large baking tin- But I think the idea is to cook in dish and serve)
Bake in a moderate oven (170) for 1-1.5 hours. Will need gentle turning.

Am I planning to visit Greece well I've never been and seeing all the photos made it very tempting but my next big trip is more likely to be San Fransisco!

I had intended to post about my visit to Niagara on the Lake but that will come later in the week.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 24/7/07 11:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to trying it very much. As is usually obvious from my pictures I like food.
I am interested to know how your computer counts though as I am getting this as the second post!!!
Love

 
At 24/7/07 12:00, Blogger Barbara said...

It's a little like a ratatouille with potatoes. Do you serve it hot or just room temp?

 
At 24/7/07 12:55, Blogger ChrisB said...

embee I forgot to alter the date it should be correct order now!

barbara it can be served either way and eaten on its own or with lamb or some other meat.

 
At 24/7/07 13:42, Blogger Amy W said...

This looks delicious!

 
At 24/7/07 14:07, Blogger FH said...

YUMMY!! I love Eggplants!:)

 
At 24/7/07 14:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

amy I can see I will be making this a lot!!

asha so do I - I think I will have to make some Moussaka soon! :)

 
At 24/7/07 15:13, Blogger Sam said...

Maybe Paris before SF?

 
At 24/7/07 17:01, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam I'd forgotten that- I think beccy wanted to try and bring Mollie to London to coincide with your visit and see the Sound of Music which is her last yrs Christmas present- I am supposed to be going as well but I guess it might not be possible to arrange!

 
At 24/7/07 17:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful, just the type of thing to 'clear out the fridge', but with taste!

 
At 24/7/07 17:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will participate in Fun Monday, can't leave a comment there for some reason!

 
At 24/7/07 18:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a very simple dish to make - AND one I can use to eat up all the summer squash in my garden. (once again i have planted one too many zucchini bushes - you would think I'd have learned by now)

 
At 24/7/07 20:05, Blogger Molly said...

Your Briam looks and sounds delicious.

 
At 24/7/07 20:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummm that looks good;)

 
At 24/7/07 20:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn I think I've said before I have no space for growing and it costs a fortune buying fruit and veg so I envy you.

mjd we certainly like it - I'm going to try it out on Beccy next time she visits!

 
At 24/7/07 21:03, Blogger my4kids said...

Hmm I would say that sounds yummy because it looks scrumptious except I'm allergic to onions. I wonder how it would be without the onions?

 
At 24/7/07 22:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids are you also allergic to leeks as well? they would be a substitute. I guess it would just be a different taste without onions.

 
At 24/7/07 22:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

wolfbaby it's definitely worth trying!

 
At 25/7/07 04:19, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Thanks for sharing!! Am definitely gonna try this one out! Looks yummy too- bit like ratatouille?

 
At 25/7/07 07:48, Blogger ChrisB said...

la bellina mammina hope you enjoy it !

 
At 25/7/07 09:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did try it and it was good. Love

 
At 25/7/07 09:29, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm impressed with your adventurous cooking mum.

 
At 25/7/07 10:16, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy not sure if I detect sarcasm in that comment- do you think you would like it?!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home