Thursday, July 26, 2007

Niagara on the Lake

I feel a bit guilty posting about a holiday when so many people in this country are suffering the terrible effects of all the recent flooding. I cannot begin to imagine what it's like to have your home full of filthy water and be struggling to find clean water and fresh food. My thoughts are with everyone in the affected areas and I hope we will see some sun soon so that people can begin to assess, clean up and regain some normality.

Niagara on the lake is a very pretty little place. We visited on Canada Day which also happens to be my friend Tina's birthday. It was a gloriously hot sunny day, just right for celebrating and the whole place was packed with people enjoying a day out. We strolled along the lake, browsing the many craft stall that had been set up along the way. There were beautiful paintings, photos, jewellery, clothes, wood carvings amongst the items on display but everything was quite expensive.
On a clear day (and it was) you can see the CN tower in Toronto. I think you will just be able to make out the skyline in this photo. When we visited the CN Tower the visibility was poor and we could not see Niagara.
This is the view across to the old fort.
It's a popular area for sailing.
We spent some time in the park listening to a group singing and then we saw a small parade. This was followed by a huge cake on a trailer.

Carriage rides could be taken from outside the Prince of Wales Hotel.
There are plenty of shops , boutiques and cafes to suit everyone. We did quite a bit of shopping and we had a tea in an Irish Tea Shop. We reckoned they might serve a good cup of tea and they certainly has some lovely cakes (I did not actually indulge in case you are wondering).

A view of the clock tower situated in Queen Street. clocktower
I would really like to return and explore Niagara on Lake when it is a little less crowded.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 26/7/07 09:53, Blogger Beccy said...

Do you know the significance of the cake?

 
At 26/7/07 13:28, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's also a touristy town but has a whole different vibe than The Falls.

 
At 26/7/07 13:39, Blogger FH said...

I am sorry about all the flooding in UK too.We are in a good place surrounded by Blue Ridge mountains which stops all the terrible weather.But there are floods in Texas this year.
That cake is HUGE!!

 
At 26/7/07 14:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy it was just part of the Canada day celebrations

AC it seemed like a bigger 'Unionville' !

Asha I don't think I'd want to be making a cake that size!!

 
At 26/7/07 16:26, Blogger Sam said...

huh? You drank a cup of tea?
You didn't eat cake?
That canadian air must've addled your senses.

 
At 26/7/07 16:52, Blogger my4kids said...

That was a huge cake but I have to say I've seen them that big. Here at our zoo we have the first elephant born in the western hemisphere in over 44 years, he was born in 1962 and has fathered several more at our zoo anyway so it is a huge celebration on his birthday every year and the zoo makes him a special peanut butter and veggie cake and for the people they have this huge cake enough to feed all the guests and there are a lot!
Great pictures!

 
At 26/7/07 17:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam well of course I didn't drink tea I had coffee!

my4kids they were giving this cake away but we didn't stop around to sample it!!

 
At 26/7/07 17:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo, is it just me or do you find it ironic that we switched sides of the pond at the same time?

Glad your holiday was lovely!!

 
At 26/7/07 17:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

Stephanie-after your London experience I don't think you fared as well as I.

 
At 27/7/07 02:21, Blogger Beckie said...

That IS a big cake!

 
At 27/7/07 02:31, Blogger willowtree said...

You answered what would have been my first question...I'm so glad you're not flooded!

I can't imagine how bad that would be, some people won't have power or drinking water for another week. I've been watching in on TV and the water levels are amazing!

On a lighter note, I've never seen a tartan that colour before. Our tartan is a really popular one, ie a lot of people who don't belong to the clan wear it as normal fashion. (hint, it has a yellow background)

 
At 27/7/07 04:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chris, enidd is getting quite envious of your holidays. time she had one herself...

 
At 27/7/07 10:10, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT we're a stoical lot in this part of the country so most people will just buckle down and get on with it. However there has been a lot of looting and idiots turning on the bowser taps and wasting water-so senseless!

enidd I though life in SF was one big holiday !!

 
At 27/7/07 16:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great, Chris. I'd love to go there one day. My husband has been many times, he lived for a while in upstate New York, near Niagra Falls.
So sorry about this flooding, glad you aren't being affected.
It's hard to see these lovely old ladies who made it through things like the Blitz having to be taken out of their homes by helicopter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home