Friday, February 02, 2007

Good neighbours

A comment on my post yesterday from Devon immediately brought to mind an incident that happened last year and it's provided me with the topic for today's post. On one of my trips last year to visit Beccy in Dublin, my cabin bag got left behind outside our house. I thought it was hubby's fault, as he was putting the cases in the car, he thought it was mine and said I had left it there when I'd locked the door.
Anyway no matter whose fault it was, I only realised it was missing as we neared the airport (approx 6:30am), you can imagine the panic I felt as the case not only contained personal items but much more importantly it also contained my grand daughter's birthday present (a leather jewellery case). We soon realised that Mike would not be able to get home and back before the flight closed.
This is where my neighbour comes in, I felt sure David would not mind being woken up to take a look. At this point I was quite convinced that I would never see the case again. After all a smart blue roller cabin case full of goodies would be far too tempting for anyone passing by and we live on a main road. Luckily Mike has David's phone number on his mobile and I rang him; he didn't hesitate said he would go straight over and look. When I arrived in Dublin and switched my phone on a text message told me that David had found the case and was keeping it safe. This was an immense relief and I consider that I have lived next door to a very good neighbour for the past 20 years. So giving him a lift to the airport and helping out when he was incapacitated was the least I could do.

In case you are interested my grand daughter was very understanding about her birthday present and she didn't mind that she did not have it on the day. I was doubly relieved not to have lost my luggage because I had bought this particular jewellery case six months before after my grand daughter had admired it and I knew I could not get an exact replacement. So all's well that ends well.

PS I'm now so paranoid that I check/ double/ tripple check that I have everything when I travel but 'better to be safe than sorry' is now my motto.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2/2/07 20:42, Blogger Beccy said...

You should have elaborated on all the panic stricken phone calls across the Irish sea that I recieved from my parents, both blaming the other person!

 
At 2/2/07 20:57, Blogger ChrisB said...

I didn't want to bore everyone. I still think (know) it was dad's fault.

 
At 2/2/07 21:54, Blogger Beccy said...

And I guess Dad still thinks (knows) it's your fault!

 
At 2/2/07 22:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

probably

 
At 3/2/07 00:00, Blogger Barbara said...

Freudian slip. You were thinking tipple weren't you?! I'm sure you needed one when you arrived at Beccy's.

 
At 3/2/07 08:47, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara oh yes good one (now why didn't I see that) -several !!! but I settled for a good cup of coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home