Monday, January 29, 2007

Fun Monday -Pictorial view of growing up after the war

Having enjoyed last week's 'fun monday' I decided to join in with Erik's (The Electronic Firefly) suggestion of posting pictures from our childhood. Being a post war baby there was very little money available for luxuries such as photos and, of course, back then they were mainly black and white. I remember being thrilled when at around the age of twelve an aunt gave me an old 'Box Brownie' camera and this was my faithful friend until I was in my 20's.

Some of you may have seen this in my post last Wednesday. Very contented at 3 months must have just been fed.





At nine months I was ready to pose for the camera. Taken in a studio, although its hard to see the photo is in colour but back then it was coloured afterwards and looks very artificial. My hair was not really yellow!!










Aged 1 year 2 months and beginning to look more like a little girl.












I was just beginning to walk and I loved my bright red shoes and had to show them off by striding down the street outside my granny's house. I won't mention showing my knickers!! Probaby 15-18 months.










Starting school is a big step and I was around 5 when this was taken.












At about 7 years I was loosing the blond look and my hair had grown.












This is me with my brother photographed at my grandparent's small holding (very rural in the middle of a wood). Shortly after this was taken my brother was chasing the cats in an area where we told not to go. I remember it well as he suddenly screamed as I heard a crash and he had put his foot through a glass window hidden by the long grass. His leg sustained a deep cut and my mum had to give him a piggy back to the Drs in the village. It was so bad they debated whether to do skin grafting. Something else we did that my mother didn't know about at the time was ride on the pigs. We were forbidden to go into the pen but would you refuse if your grampy offered you a ride and lifted you on. It was such excitment and I remember it clearly.



I think I was around 12-14 when this was taken, as it is the summer uniform. A shapeless blue dress, beret with school badge (detention if not worn), navy cardigan knitted by my granny (rarely had anything that was shop bought) and the obligatory Clarks sandals. I had luckily passed my 11+ exam and went to the Grammar School which was about five or six miles away from home. We went by coach and picked up children around all the county lanes so had to start fairly early.







When I was growing up we did not have holidays. My parents ran a confectioners shop so they were tied to the business. So during the long summer holidays we had several treats with my granny, and this is one of them. A day out at Weston-Super-Mare, which is a seaside town and although only about 50 miles away from the small town where we lived, it took for ever (or so it seemed) to get there on the bus (no motorways back then). It was always windy and cold but for us one of the highlights of the holiday. I was able to take a friend (Judy Moss) whom I have lost touch with and I often wonder what she is doing now. I did try and find her on 'Friends United" web site but no luck.





Beccy insisted that I put in a swim wear picture. Aged 16 on the first ever holiday I had with my parents at Wembury in Devon.










At end of final school year they held a school dance. My mother bought this hideous pink nylon flock dress, which I hated. I had an awful time at the dance as I felt frumpy and being over weight and having a "perm' did not help. You might ask why I did not throw this dress out but for some reason I kept it and years later I was able to use the under skirt to make an Angel costume for a Christmas play when my eldest daughter, Sam was at playschool. So it had its uses.






Around the age of 18 also in the picture cute little "Breezy" our dog at the time.











I left home January 1962 to train as a nurse and this was taken sometime during the following year so was 18-19 at the time.










Skipping quite a few years I wanted to add this photo of me with Beccy (15yrs) and Sam (19 yrs) taken in 1985 when we all played tennis together in the local league. This was just before Sam went off to university.

I am now looking forward to seeing eveyone else's post.

Labels: ,

33 Comments:

At 29/1/07 11:50, Blogger Beccy said...

Great post Mum, you got it finished with plenty of time to spare!

 
At 29/1/07 14:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're adorable!

And I love the nurses uniform. I work in a hospital and can't even imagine everyone wearing those uniforms and hats now.

 
At 29/1/07 14:23, Blogger The very nice man said...

Brilliant post, Chrisb! I love the swimwear picture! Could definitely fall in love with you there!

 
At 29/1/07 14:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love browsing through all these wonderful photo albums. Erik's idea was fantastic. And you remembered the dress was hideous pink? All the pics are fun, especially the tennis.

 
At 29/1/07 14:43, Blogger enidd said...

enid thinks you look fantastic, even in the hideous pink dress! she specially likes the cut offs you're wearing when you're holding breezy! she'd wear those next summer, if she could get some.

 
At 29/1/07 15:50, Blogger ChrisB said...

jenny the matron was so strict about uniforms ( you had to be pristine at all times), mind the trousers they wear now are much more practical.

erik you are a 'very nice man' you know what they say about flattery!!

swampwitch how could I ever forget 'that awful dress' and I could have shown plenty of other 'no fashion sense' photos. However there are a few things that I wore in later years that Sam and Becs have worn more recently.

Enid yes those cropped trousers would be fashionable today.

 
At 29/1/07 15:52, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy it did take rather a long time but downloading several photos at same time helps.

 
At 29/1/07 16:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, oh, my! Your baby pictures could have sold diapers or clothing or baby food, no doubts! Adorable! And then watching you "grow up" was a treat; thank you for the additional explanation and stories (ouch! on the one about your brother...and pig riding? I never ever knew that was possible!).

Thanks to Beccy for insisting on the swim wear picture--it deserved a place here :). The last one of you with your daughters is a great addition, too. Especially since Beccy mentioned tennis in her post, and here's yet another photo of her to prove it.

(p.s. Thanks for the sidebar lovin', it makes me tingle every time I see it :) ). BTW, that's a good thing!

 
At 29/1/07 17:27, Blogger A Novelist said...

Great pictures! I love them. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

 
At 29/1/07 18:11, Blogger FH said...

OH! So beautiful and precious you look! Beccy looks like you,I saw her pics too!:))

 
At 29/1/07 18:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

Robin thank you for those lovely comments. I wouldn't dare to show a swimwear one these days!!

a novelist- thank you for visiting, it's been great fun getting a glimpse of other peoples childhoods. I still have a few more visits to make.

 
At 29/1/07 18:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

asha glad you enjoyed the pics. I don't watch big brother (not my sort of programme) but nevertheless I am up to date with it as it has made the news. Shilpa is a worthy winner and she handled the situation well. I do believe Jade Goody was manipulated by to producers, she's a naive and foolish girl and suffered a lot of bullying herself when she was in one of the previous contestents so she should have realised how hurtful her comments were..

 
At 29/1/07 19:32, Blogger Sam said...

Scary thought: do you realise that in the last picture you are about the same age as I am right now?

 
At 29/1/07 19:43, Blogger Leann said...

OMG your picture at seven stopped me cold.you look just like my grandaughters best friend.you could be her twin.love the picture.thanks for sharing them .your so cute.I love to see pictures.it makes one feel they know you from years ago.God bless

 
At 29/1/07 20:59, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam are you sure that makes me 42 or can't I count; I thought I was the one who added a yr.

Leann thank you for dropping by. I am flattered to resemble your grand daughter's friend. It was such fun looking back on all the old photos. It's made me realise I need to catalogue quite a few ( another job for a rainy day).

 
At 29/1/07 22:07, Blogger food blog scool said...

41 surely you were in 85, and I will be 41 this year

 
At 29/1/07 22:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam ( i presume its you) I got dad counting back but you are right of course. I look old at that age you don't

 
At 29/1/07 22:44, Blogger Yara said...

Very Nice! I like it that you showed so many, you were so pretty. Still are of course, ^_^!

-Yara

 
At 29/1/07 22:50, Blogger ChrisB said...

yara thank you for dropping by. I have so enjoyed looking at all everybody's photos. It takes me a long time as I then get hooked on reading all the back posts.

 
At 30/1/07 00:06, Blogger Sam said...

good job I never believed you, then, when you told me "women over 30 should get their hair cut short or else they look old"

 
At 30/1/07 00:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the baby photos - you were adorable!!

 
At 30/1/07 00:18, Blogger Mary said...

Your baby pictures are amazing, so beautiful! I really love b/w and sepia pictures :O)

 
At 30/1/07 00:56, Blogger willowtree said...

Excellent post Chris, everyone seems to be doing a better job of it than me (not that I'm competitive;).

I remember those uniforms, my cousin was a nurse and she's about the same age as you, not that I know your age, but the uniform was the same and she's just retired too.

 
At 30/1/07 01:04, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a nice extensive review.

 
At 30/1/07 02:06, Blogger Cuppa said...

Thanks for stopping by to say hello today. I have enjoyed looking at your pics too.

 
At 30/1/07 02:31, Blogger Barbara said...

What a great post Chris. It was fun to see the pictures of you growing up.

 
At 30/1/07 14:19, Blogger sallywrites said...

Great pictures!!

Sally

 
At 30/1/07 23:19, Blogger ~ej said...

these are fantastic! i love all of the descriptions of the events and the clothing :)

and thank you for adding me to your blog links!

 
At 31/1/07 08:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

sally thank you

elena jane these fun monday posts have been a great way to find new reads I still have more to add to my links. I find I am spending much longer than I intend at the computer but everyone is so interesting. see you again.

 
At 31/1/07 09:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

I don't know what happened but some of my replies don't seem to have been posted so i'll try again but can't remember what I said first time around.

karmyn you are too kind

mert thank you for dropping by I have just linked to you enjoyed your blog.

willowtree was I a bit OTT no just enthusiastic.

anvilcloud thanks for dropping by , I enjoyed the accompanying music on your post how do you that.

barbara, sally you should join in fun monday

elena jane thank you I'll see you again

 
At 2/2/07 15:01, Blogger Peg said...

These are fantastic!! I think my favorite is you in your snappy red shoes!!

I'm enjoying this event--and reading so many great blogs--it's taken me all week!

 
At 2/2/07 16:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

Peg It also took me a while especially as I then started reading interesting back posts. So I'm going to be a lurker on quite a few bogs from now on. see you again

 
At 10/6/08 03:56, Blogger Pamela said...

how did I miss this one. I must have played hookey that second trip!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home