Monday, July 07, 2008

Fun Monday # 73 A fishy tale or two!

The hostess this week is Olive and her challenge is decidedly fishy! Here's what she says........

'we are starting a new month and will be celebrating our Day of Independence soon in the US so let’s make the next FM a fun time. I would like to hear about your *whopper* of a fishing story. Yes, you heard it correctly whether it is fictional or non fictional I want to hear a fishing story from you. An example would be if you catch a minnow and tell it that you caught a swordfish (exaggeration is the operative word here). Did you hear me say show your photo(s)? Of course you did – be creative'.

I have been wracking my brain for a tall story but so far have not come up with anything remotely interesting. I'm going to sleep on it and hope for inspiration!!

No luck, but one story I do remember from a very long long time ago might amuse you!

As a child (back in the 50's) I was not really into fishing but my younger brother was and I was supposed to keep an eye on him. We were told not to go near the river that was quite swift running in places and led to a mill. We were allowed in another section of the same river where it was wider and not so deep. I know you are ahead of me~ where did my brother and his friend insist on fishing!! In the forbidden area and the inevitable happened.....he fell in the river. However, very luckily for us an older boy (Peter, who lived near us) happened to be there and pulled him out. We were scared of the consequences but I think my mother was so relieved to see my brother had survived the experience and was only wet and dirty that I do not recall any specific punishment. Did he get any fish?... not on this occasion but there were other times when he came home with small offerings that my granny cooked. Oh and as far as I'm aware he kept away from that section of the river for a long time afterwards!

Now while we were in Portugal, this last fortnight, we (as in mainly Sam Beccy and me, and sometimes Embee, actually feasted on a lot of lovely fresh fish. This included buying sardines at the daily market at a very reasonable price! Photo Copyright Sam
The ones that you see me buying here were for the BBQ and they were just so delicious.

So do you think we de-scaled and gutted the sardines or did we get this little task done for us????

Sorry these stories are not 'whoppers' but I'm sure you will find others to entertain you over at Olive's place.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

At 7/7/08 12:12, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

What do you mean? This IS a good entry for today!!! I enjoyed reading it.

It reminded me of my older brothers always defying the inevitable - danger. And as your brothers --always against the rules of the parents. Yep, yep, yep.

Now as for the sardines, I've never had FRESH. But I have had them canned off the grocery shelf.


Loved your Fun Monday fish tale.

 
At 7/7/08 12:33, Blogger Faye said...

Mother says "no" so guess where your charges wanted to go fish. Classic dilemma for the older child in charge. Lucky he was fishing with a good swimmer.

Fresh sardines? Something tells me the canned things don't compare. Hope you had a wonderful holiday in Portugal. Seems like you've been traveling for some time.

 
At 7/7/08 12:34, Blogger FH said...

Hi Chris, looks like you are having a great time there,enjoy!:)

I saw the previous just now, beautiful bungalow. We are staying at mountain Chalet in Smoky mountain,TN for the first time, looking forward to it.We will leave on Saturday.

Yeah,it poured here half an hour before the fireworks and stopped thankfully,weather is so predictable on the 4th!:D

Have fun there, happy Monday!:))

 
At 7/7/08 12:55, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

I think this was a fine entry! Leave it to the boys to always do things they aren't allowed to! He was very lucky, and the whole incident obviuosly left an impression on you. Yes, that was one "fishing trip" you'll never forget.

Sardines???? Yuck...I can barely look at them, much less think of how they must taste. But to each his own and I hope you enjoyed them! :)

 
At 7/7/08 13:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As children, all five of us, would go out together in the neighborhood and do some fishing in the local creek. The water was not a danger of swallowing us up but there were plenty of times that one of us would get wet and dirty from the adventure.

Those sardines look delicious. Do they really have scales?

 
At 7/7/08 13:51, Blogger kitten said...

I hate I missed this one. I have a great fish story that most don't believe, but it's true.
Well, Hello my friend! I sure have missed you! Hope all is well!

 
At 7/7/08 14:49, Blogger Peter said...

Hi Ghris, hope your travels are still going well, glad you and your brother survived the fishing trip to the river.

 
At 7/7/08 15:29, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I loved your story! The pic of the sardines is good one. The DOF is excellent!

 
At 7/7/08 15:32, Blogger IamwhoIam said...

I bet your brother telling of the story is much more colorful.

 
At 7/7/08 16:27, Blogger Steffi said...

That´s a nice story,Chris and I enjoyed to read it!

 
At 7/7/08 16:40, Blogger storyteller said...

Well done! I’m relieved there was a happy ending to your brother’s ‘river incident’ and that there were no serious consequences from your parents. I enjoyed the photos you shared from your trip in the previous posts … looks like you had a grand time ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 7/7/08 17:54, Blogger Jan said...

That's quite a tale about your brother. Thank heaven Sam was there. I've never eatten sardines, but I love those photos. Great post.

 
At 7/7/08 18:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think of sardines, my mind goes straight back to my grandpa enjoying smelly oily slime straight from the tin. Ewwwww!

Your's look so much better!

 
At 7/7/08 18:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your story! Not too crazy about the sardines though.

 
At 7/7/08 20:49, Blogger Alison said...

what a frightening experience. I am so glad he was OK...and I am sure you did not "prepare" the fish yourself....at least I know I wouldn't!!!

 
At 7/7/08 21:09, Blogger the mother of this lot said...

It reminded me of the 'Naughty Little Sister' story about falling in the river. The other kids dried her clothes in the sun so that Mum would never find out, but her mum knew sraightaway. Why? Because they weren't ironed, of course!

 
At 7/7/08 21:15, Blogger Molly said...

I think that you had the fish de-scaled and gutted, or least that would be my choice. I enjoyed reading your post although I would prefer not to fall in the river.

 
At 7/7/08 21:46, Blogger Unknown said...

I bet you had it done for you. :)

I think it's so cool that you all get together like this!

Glad your brother survived the river and the mama's possible wrath.

 
At 7/7/08 22:40, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

That was great, and I reckon you had them scaled for you, but only because I would because they creep me out. :D

 
At 7/7/08 23:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was a lucky guy!

 
At 8/7/08 02:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOHH my the escapades of our youth!!! Thank godness he was alright!! and do you really buy the fish like that just laying out?
I have never seen that!

 
At 8/7/08 02:46, Blogger Sayre said...

Buying sardines in Portugal sounds like a great story to me!

Your brother lucked out on several scores that day...

 
At 8/7/08 06:17, Blogger karisma said...

A marvelous adventure with a happy ending! You can keep the sardines though!

 
At 8/7/08 16:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he lived to tell (and re-tell) this fish tale :).

I've gotta tell ya, though...I've never eaten sardines. The thought of 'em is unappealing, I wonder why the negative association--especially because I love seafood!

Glad you had opportunity to enjoy some delicious FRESH ones, though...better YOU than ME! :)

 
At 9/7/08 00:13, Blogger Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

That photo of the sardines is BEAUTIFUL! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home