Saturday, July 05, 2008

Villa Mirador near Silves, Portugal # 1

Have you missed me? OK no need to answer that question! We've enjoyed a very relaxing two weeks with the family. But why am I so tired now I've returned home~ there was no time difference so no jet lag, the journey, although short (2.5hrs), was tiring because of all the waiting about at the airport. I really don't know how Sam managed as she travelled for about 24 hours to join us for a week. It was so lovely to have everyone all together and such a shame that Fred couldn't join us.

We arrived at Faro mid afternoon. By the time we had picked up our hire car (a sparkling new Renault Clio only delivered that day) and Embee had worked out all the controls we were quite late beginning the drive to our villa. Embee did not enjoy driving a left hand drive car on the right hand side of the road. By the time we reached the villa (I navigated!!).... Beccy and Co had been in the pool for a couple of hours and after a quick tour we joined them.
This was our first views as we drove down an extremely dusty lane with masses of potholes and orange and lemon groves on either side.
You can't see from this photo that the drive is actually narrows at the top near the villa, but luckily there was a turning point so no real problems.

I took a lot of photos around the pool so I will be sharing more with you over the coming days!


The first evening we went into the town of Silves, about a 15 minute drive from where we were staying. We wandered around trying to decide where to have dinner. We were actually spoiled for choice as there are so many restaurants to choose from. It was so lovely to be able to sit outside and enjoy a leisurely meal. I have a lot more photos taken in and around Silves, including some pictures of very special inhabitants but I'm saving these for a future post.

Labels: , , , ,

23 Comments:

At 5/7/08 21:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome home, and of course I missed you.
the villa looks beautiful, looking forward to seeing lots more photos, so glad you all had a great holiday x

 
At 5/7/08 21:38, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Welcome home. That place looks like a paradise.

 
At 5/7/08 21:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were missed! Welcome home.

The place looks wonderful.

 
At 6/7/08 00:12, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I envy every minute of your trip.
Is that embee in the bottom photo? What a duuuude!

 
At 6/7/08 00:26, Blogger infredible said...

If any pictues of me in my bikini make it to your blog, there will be trouble.

 
At 6/7/08 00:40, Blogger willowtree said...

Welcome home. I just love those white buildings

 
At 6/7/08 01:19, Blogger Barbara said...

Welcome home Chris. Of course we missed you. Thanks for the early birthday greetings. The villa looks wonderful and nice to see Embee relaxing int he sun.

 
At 6/7/08 03:15, Blogger Alison said...

welcome home!!! yes, I missed you, and I can't wait to read about your lovely holiday...these pictures are stunning and the villa looks amazing!!!

 
At 6/7/08 10:01, Blogger Beccy said...

I ditto Sam!

We're all really tired as well and have been sleeping in. In fact it's 10am here and Ben is still asleep!

 
At 6/7/08 10:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

Katy I will be serving up just a few more photos over the coming days or weeks!!

AC and grannymar it was an ideal place for a family holiday.

CC that is indeed Embee.

Infredible I didn't realise you wore bikinis!!!

WT I gather from talking to local residents it's quite costly to keep everything looking to pristine. we did notice a few more colours creeping in but most houses still seem to be white.

Barbara embee takes the sun very well. He is very tanned unlike me who burns easily so I don't sit in the direct sun for too long.

Alison there will be more coming.

 
At 6/7/08 10:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy would I do that!! Ben did have a lot of late nights so he's probably just catching up. BTW how is Mollie's ear?

 
At 6/7/08 13:02, Blogger Beccy said...

Outer ear infection and on ear drops...she could teach Dillon a thing or two on how to be a model patient!

 
At 6/7/08 17:28, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Wow, what a beautiful villa! I'm very jealous, and the weather looks absolutely gorgeous too.

 
At 6/7/08 18:17, Blogger Steffi said...

Welcome home , Chris! Your pics looks fantastic!I wish I was there too!Oh - and I saw Mollie in one of my clothes which I sewed for her!

 
At 6/7/08 18:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks so heavenly - relaxing and wonderful. I bet you had a great time!

I think I could even handle taking a newborn there (if I never had to leave the pool area).

 
At 6/7/08 21:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn it would have been perfect for you :)

 
At 6/7/08 22:49, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like a beautiful place to spend time!

 
At 6/7/08 23:43, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Goodness has it been a fortnight already..... the villa looks just perfect, looking forward to seeing more photos :)

Welcome home..

x

 
At 7/7/08 00:16, Blogger karisma said...

Just lovely! I am surprised you came back! It must have been hard. I know I am always tired whenever I go away, even just overnight. I think its just a relief mechanism to get back into your own space again.

Welcome home!

 
At 7/7/08 13:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, it looks beautiful there.

 
At 7/7/08 17:04, Blogger enidd said...

wow, looks lovely chris! enidd is quite envious.

 
At 7/7/08 22:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

LMM the weather was perfect.

marmitetoasty the time went far too quickly.

karisma given all the rain we've had in the last few days I wish we were still there!

Alix and enidd I have been to that area of Portugal before so I knew we would enjoy it. Beccy picked the actual villa and she did well.

 
At 8/7/08 15:14, Blogger Happy Working Mom said...

Oh your villa looks so wonderful! What a great trip...I can't wait to hear more about it and see more pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home