Friday, February 15, 2008

Drugs in Sport....

I don't know about you but I feel very disappointed when ever I read about sport personalities taking performance enhancing drugs. There is now so much money in sport that I suppose the temptation must great. We all know that it went on in the Eastern Block countries long before the routine testing caught many of these cheats. Gradually in recent years a lot more sports, especially athletics have been tainted with drug taking and blood doping.

This week there has been a lot of controversy, here in the UK, about drug cheat Dwain Chambers who was given a two year worldwide ban from competing back in 2003. He has a lifetime ban from competing in the Olympics, however, amazingly he is being allowed to compete in the 60m indoor sprint at the World Indoor Championships in Spain next month.

This is a man who admits to taking a drug because he was arrogant enough to believe it would not be detected. When eventually caught after testing positive, he went on to say 'you can't win anything without taking drugs'! So why is he being allowed to compete, because of some stupid clause that says anyone who wins the trials has automatic qualification. Now I'm all for forgiveness and once someone has served his/her time...they should have the opportunity to put it behind them and start again. What I do find it hard to believe is that he should have changed his views about taking drugs and looking at a recent photo (he took the drug for some 18 months)...well I don't think I need to say more!
UKA are I understand looking for ways to exclude drug cheats in the future. What do you think? What message does this send to young athletes trying to make their way in a highly competitive sport?

While I'm on the topic of sport.........
you will have read that Hollywood film director Steven Spielberg has resigned as an artistic adviser to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing accusing China of not doing enough to pressure Sudan over Darfur (as reported by the BBC). I saw an interview with George Bush on the news last night and he seemed relaxed about attending the Olympics, emphasizing while he was there, he would not talk publicly about Beijing's policies and that Spielberg's decision was a personal matter. Why is that sport, music, films become a political arena........or am I burying my head in the sand!! I'd be interested in your views.

Archives:
2007: All's well that ends well

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 15/2/08 18:37, Blogger Julie said...

Everything and everyone has their own political agenda these days. I'm so tired of it.

 
At 15/2/08 19:11, Blogger Alison said...

I totally agree with you Chris. The sports figures make me sick, but I think our society sickens me more. We put celebrities on a super human pedastal, we forget that they are just people, like us, but with a lot more money. I dislike our idol loving society...and it gets worse when politics are involved. I hope we see a change soon...the world is becoming a scary place, especially for our children.

The photo you posted is frightening!

 
At 15/2/08 19:26, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

First of all, I applaude you for being able to even WATCH Bush. I just can't do it anymore.
The past two days has shown us here the spectacle of some baseball players testifying before Congress.
They all make me sick, and what are they teaching our children? That being honest and playing games the right way will get you nowhere?
Ban them all, then they'll all have to compete on the same playing field.
The picture? No words.

Lisa

 
At 15/2/08 20:29, Blogger AfKaP said...

I agree with both Allison and Lisa. It is very discouraging. We seem to have so little sense of community any more and things boil down to individuals who think they should be allowed to do anything to get ahead. I am very discouraged.

 
At 15/2/08 22:14, Blogger Alix said...

I can't believe he is able to compete. How are children supposed to understand about choices and consequences when they see celebrities getting away with it!

 
At 15/2/08 22:14, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Ooooh, that man looks scary.

 
At 15/2/08 23:46, Blogger Jill said...

i have to agree with you. Those F'ups (thats a bad word there) are spending time over here with our CONGRESS, listening to a sports guy say, I didnt use drugs and his trainer say, yes i did. why in the lower regions of satan's domain is our US CONGRESS listening to this? dont they have better things to do, like pass health care, or tax breaks, or fairer practices that assist working mothers? please! get off the steroid binge and do something for the other billions of people in the US that aren't the few thousand in organized sports. jeez!

 
At 16/2/08 01:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ack - How hard is it to be a parent and tell your child "Just do the best you can do" when that isn't enough for their hero?

and Spielberg? I don't think the US is doing enough for Darfur either. And anyway, why is he helping out at the Beijing Olympics? Shouldn't this be a time to showcase China and what Chinese can do?

 
At 16/2/08 03:38, Blogger willowtree said...

There should be more drugs, and not just for sport either.

What's Spielberg's deal? The situation is the same as when he accepted the role.

 
At 16/2/08 04:26, Blogger Barbara said...

I disagree with drugs in sport but I find it interesting drugs are considered cheating when used in sports but many people happily buy and enjoy listening to music which has often been created from people using performance enhancing drugs. And also would of some of that music be actually better if it had been created without drugs.

 
At 16/2/08 08:42, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. I think wo/man has run as fast as he can over the 100m - I get the feeling they're all treading the fine line between vitamin supplements and performance enhancing drugs. But no-one will give them accolades if they run just as fast as the last record holder - they have to run faster. It's sad, really.

 
At 16/2/08 10:22, Blogger Steffi said...

I agree with you too. You know I come from the former GDR and I don´t know the backgrounds what´s happend with our athlets.It was a top secret topic all questions behind the sport results.Like so many other things in the former GDR...
Great post,Chris!And the man on your picture looks scary.

 
At 16/2/08 10:37, Blogger Beccy said...

Whilst I believe in serving time, I think that drugs in sport is so prevalent that a huge stand has to be made. I've heard of 14 year old boys being given steroids by their rugby coaches here in order to beef up. These are young impressionable kids who want to get onto the A team and who are led to believe that taking drugs is the only way. God only knows what the long term damage these drugs can do.

 
At 16/2/08 16:04, Blogger kitten said...

I know everybody wants to be first, but it's not about being 1st to me. It's about doing what you like, enjoying doing it and giving your best, but so many fall under the pressure.
I really enjoy your blog, but don't have time to visit as much as I would like here lately. I just wanted to come over and say Hello! I really need to get to the hospital thou. Take care!

 
At 16/2/08 18:30, Blogger Attie said...

Totally agree with ya! Photo is gross!! do some of them actually maybe have some of that BDO...Ithink it is called.
I too cannot stand to watch let alone hear his voice. How is it he hasn't been immpeached?

 
At 17/2/08 22:45, Blogger frannie said...

there are some major controversies going on here in the US as some of our biggest baseball stars are being caught cheating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home