Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fruit Bread

My mother wanted some cake to give her friend and I didn't have time to make anything but I remembered that I had a fruit loaf in the freezer. Although it had been in there for simply ages I knew that it would be a lot more moist than when fresh cooked. I tend to make these in batches of three as I happen to have this number of tins and it's better use of the oven. So if you like dried fruit and are looking for an easy recipe that freezes well (in my opinion freezing actually improves the texture) then I would recommend you give this a try.
The recipe comes from this little book which I have written about in the past; if you are interested in finding out more about the book and a lemon cake recipe look here.
Once thawed this is what the fruit bread looks like, it is meant to be buttered but I actually like it as it comes.

The recipe is written in cups, Sam has written some imperial measures alongside but that is far too much sugar. I have always used an ordinary half pint coffee mug and this works fine. It's fairly quick to put a cup of sugar, All Bran and fruit into a bowl then heat up a mug of milk in the microwave and pour over. You can then get on with something else for a couple of hours, then stir in your cup of flour and bake. I would start checking at 45mins as cooking time does vary depending on your cooker.
I have never had one that was a failure and this was very popular with members of my tennis club when I used to make the tea.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 12/6/07 17:58, Blogger FH said...

That fruit cake looks moist and delicious.I would love to give it a try.Thanks Chris:)

 
At 12/6/07 18:01, Blogger Debs said...

That looks so yummy. :)

 
At 12/6/07 19:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

asha if you do make it let me know if you like it :)

debs the health benefit is the all bran!!

 
At 12/6/07 23:22, Blogger headless chicken said...

Mmmmmm!!!!
This does look delicious and healthy too, what could be better?

 
At 12/6/07 23:23, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

Looks delicious! But if it requires me cooking it its a no go!

 
At 12/6/07 23:28, Blogger Barbara said...

Chris this is easy I'll just have to make it. I have a similar one which uses fruit juice.

 
At 13/6/07 04:24, Blogger frannie said...

things that freeze well are always a hit with me!

 
At 13/6/07 05:49, Blogger AfKaP said...

Gosh, No eggs! How can that be? Seems like baked cereal. I'm intrigued!

 
At 13/6/07 06:10, Blogger Beckie said...

Oooh, it looks good and easy!

 
At 13/6/07 07:52, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thank you everyone for the comments and for those who plan to give it a try let me know if you enjoyed it.

 
At 13/6/07 13:39, Blogger sallywrites said...

No yeast?
Looks lovely. i'll give it a try!

 
At 13/6/07 17:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

sally let me know what you think of it.

 
At 13/6/07 20:32, Blogger Steffi said...

Your fruit cake looks delicious and I will try out the recipe!Thank you!

 
At 13/6/07 23:41, Blogger Sam said...

this is the easiest recipe in the world - i have made it a trillion times but I can't vouch for it cos i have never tasted it - it is full of all those yucky dried fruits and allbran and hot milk. blaegh!

 
At 14/6/07 12:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam you don't know what's good for you!

steffi hope you enjoy it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home