Monday, November 13, 2006

It's nice to see friends.

A couple of my friends called in for a quick coffee and chat this morning. I knew they were planning to visit so I thought it would be nice to bake a cake rather than just open a packet of biscuits. I had rather a lot of oranges so decided to try an orange cake. The end result was a light moist cake but as far as I was concerned it did not taste very 'orangey' although it looked it. During the preparation I stuck to the recipe- big mistake. I really knew it would have been better to drizzle/infuse the top with icing sugar and squeezed orange juice. My friends had clean plates so it couldn't have been too bad. It was nice to catch up and we had a good natter for an hour before they went back to work and......

I rushed around getting a lot of last minute jobs done before I fly off to Dublin, tomorrow afternoon, to see Beccy, Joules and the grandchildren. My mother, who has not been well, had an appointment with her doctor and luckily he feels her chest infection has responded to the antibiotics so I think she will cope while I am away. I've been shopping so she's well stocked with food as is Mike (I know he will happily cook himself lots of unhealthy snack type meals or get takeaways).

If you read my Friday's post I mentioned how I was going to turn the remainder of the "champ' into a pie and this proved very successful. All I did was add grilled crispy bacon, chopped cooked mushrooms and grated cheese and baked. It's a quick, tasty supper dish, which goes well with a side salad and a glass of wine.

I may get the opportunity to post from Dublin but if not I will be back on November 20th. See you then.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 13/11/06 16:53, Blogger Beccy said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow Mum.

 
At 13/11/06 17:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

Same here. Hope there are no flight delays.

 
At 13/11/06 19:24, Blogger Sam said...

not fair

 
At 13/11/06 19:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam we will be thinking of you and will try and call you while I am there.

 
At 13/11/06 20:02, Blogger Beccy said...

By the way both the cake and pie look yummy.

 
At 13/11/06 22:12, Blogger Barbara said...

Yes the cake and pie look delicious. Have a lovely time in Ireland.

 
At 14/11/06 07:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thank you Barbara I'm getting quite excited. You can imagine how I love to see them all.

 
At 14/11/06 12:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not ALL the snack type things that I cook are unhealthy and they are usually quite tasty Love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home