Monday, August 03, 2009

Fun Monday # 127 Summertime Food


Sayre has come up with an idea to tempt the palate this week, she says:

So what I want from you is a step-by-step guide (pictures encouraged) for making your favorite summertime dish. This can be an entree, a vegetable, a casserole, or a dessert. Hopefully it will be quick and easy so we can spend August playing more and cooking less!

I wasn't sure I would be able to join in this week because I've got visitors. So what I've done is just show today's dinner and a cake I made yesterday.

I can't honestly say that these are favourites because it's the first time I've tried these recipes but I think they might become future favourites, neither are particularly summery.

Mushroom, Bacon and Leek Risotto


25 g (1oz) dried mushrooms (I used fresh)
250g (9oz) dry-cure smoked bacon, rind removed, chopped
3 leeks, chopped
300g (11 oz) Arboria rice
20g (3/4 oz) chives, chopped
25g (1oz) freshly grated Parmesan (plus extra to serve)

Method:
1 Put mushrooms in large bowl pour on 1.4 litre (2 I/2 pints) boiling water (I cooked fresh mushrooms in microwave then added water)
Leave to soak for 10 mins.

2 Meanwhile, fry bacon and leeks in large pan (no ned to add oil)- 7-8 mins until soft and brown.

3 Stir in rice, cook for 1-2 mins, then add the mushrooms and their soaking liquor. Cook at gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 mins until rice is cooked and most liquid has been absorbed.

4 Stir in the chives and grated Parmesan, then sprinkle with extra Parmesan to serve.


Lemon and Orange Cake


I used one of Beccy's recipes for this cake. If anyone likes the look of the picture and would like the recipe just let me know. I can tell you it is very light and the mixture of the orange and lemon drizzled over the top and soaking in gives a perfect flavour.
Sorry this is all very rushed but if I don't get this posted it will soon be Tuesday.

Archives:
2008: Home Grown
2007: Niagara Whirlpool Aero Car

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4/8/09 01:00, Blogger Faye said...

That risotto is a winner for sure Chris. I'd make it in a minute. Love all those "cook up" kind of dishes with rice or pasta as the base. I haven't worked with dried mushrooms but understand that they give a dish a more intense flavor. Sounds like that's more of a winter thing.

Beccy's cake looks wonderful, but don't post the recipe! Too tempting.

 
At 4/8/09 03:14, Blogger Sayre said...

Oh, that cake!!! I'm sure I NEED the recipe for that one!
The risotto looks good, but the cake... Must go wipe my mouth now.

 
At 4/8/09 04:36, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm coming for dinner

 
At 4/8/09 13:16, Anonymous Grannymar said...

Sorry I missed dinner, it all looks very tasty.

I do make a lemon drizzle cake and occasionally use orange instead of lemon, but never thought to mix them. Thanks for the idea. Now I must give Lemon and lime a try one of these days!

 
At 4/8/09 18:17, Anonymous Janis said...

I love a one pot dinner and your Risotto looks and sounds delish. The cake also looks very tempting to one who is watching her calories. Thanks for sharing Chris

 
At 5/8/09 16:08, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

MMMM! That cake looks yummy.

I'm not a big bacon fan - so I would probably make the risotto without it. Maybe add sausage instead?

Oh - I'm hosting Fun Monday next week. I'm trying to get my post up with the topic today.

 
At 6/8/09 02:52, Blogger Living Life said...

Ok, the orange cake looks yummo, but the risotto I am not sure about. I guess it's because it contains leeks. I have never had a leek, but is on my list of "new veggies to try"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home