Saturday, August 02, 2008

June Taylor Conserves

Don't you just love getting a parcel. When one arrived from
Sam I knew it was going to be some of June Taylor's wonderful conserves.

There was a jar of her Olallieberry & Lemon Verbena (this is a new recipe) and a jar of Boysenberry in a lovely presentation box. I haven't tried them yet but I just know that they will be wonderful. I might just get Beccy to make some scones while she is here so that we can have a cream tea.
So thank you very much Sam xxx

I may have mentioned that Beccy, Joules, the grandchildren and two of their friends arrived this afternoon to spend a week with us. Well actually Joules has to fly home on Tuesday so he doesn't get as long as the others. I'm sure you will be hearing more about their visit over the coming days.

POSTSCRIPT
In answer to a question in my comments
What is an Olallieberry?
Genetically, it is approximately two-thirds Blackberry and one-third European Red Raspberry. The Olallieberry was developed in 1949 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture at Oregon State University by crossing a Loganberry with a Youngberry. While primarily developed in Oregon, it has never been very productive there and is primarily grown in California. Because the olallieberry has blackberry on both sides of its parentage, it exhibits many of the same flavor characteristics of the blackberry. However, olallieberries are much larger in size and generally are sweeter than blackberries grown under the same conditions.

How did the Olallieberry get its name?
“Olallie” is a word for berry that was used by Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest. So you’re actually saying “berry berry”!

How do you pronounce Olallieberry?
Say the “o” first and the rest will follow (oh-la-leh).

How do you spell it?
We have seen it spelled all sorts of ways – ollieberry, ollalieberry, olallie berry, lallieberry, olalliberry, ollaberry, olliberry, and even hallieberry!
But it is o-l-a-l-l-i-e-b-e-r-r-y.

And, how does it taste?
It’s tart, sweet, juicy and delicious.
This is what my research tells me

Archives:
2007: Rocking Girl Blogger Award

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 2/8/08 22:20, Blogger Beccy said...

You get the nice parcel and I get to make the scones?

That doesn't sound too fair!

 
At 2/8/08 23:37, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Is it just my imagination, or do you get a lot of parcels. Well deserved, I'm sure. Enjoy.

 
At 3/8/08 01:08, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

LOL!!! Here in the states, I think some people might have something else come to mind when they hear "June Taylor". Ages ago (before my time, actually) there was an act of sorts called the June Taylor Dancers.

I bet your June Taylor jams are much more entertaining :)

 
At 3/8/08 09:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mouth is watering now at the thought of warn scones with your lovely conserves and clotted cream, you will have clotted cream wont you?!

 
At 3/8/08 10:15, Blogger sallywrites said...

What is Olallieberry?

Last year we had a huge crop of plums and we made lovely jam..... but this year we don't have many at all....

 
At 3/8/08 13:18, Blogger FH said...

Happy Friendship day to you Chris! Enjoy the goodies and the weekend!:))

Completed remodeling 2 bathrooms so far, on to the dining room!:D

 
At 3/8/08 13:50, Blogger Molly said...

I have not had June Taylor's conserves, but I did make grape conserve from the grapes in my backyard.

 
At 3/8/08 15:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love getting parcels don't care what's in them!! Enjoy your scones. love Judyx

 
At 3/8/08 15:55, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy sounds like a good plan to me, this was my menu for hope prize.

AC I do seem to have been lucky just lately:)

swampangel June Taylor is British but has lived in CA for years. I must google the other JT!

katie come to tea

Sally I will add a PS to the post

asha thank you it's fun having beccy & co here. You have got a lot done in a short timespan!

molly JT does make wonderful jams, etc but you can't beat home made unless of course you have a bit of a disaster like I did when I made the rhubarb and strawberry earlier in the year!

judy I am looking forward to it :)

 
At 3/8/08 19:28, Blogger Steffi said...

You get a very nice parcel ! Very good!Enjoy it!

 
At 4/8/08 02:59, Blogger Pamela said...

I can't believe I've never seen one before.. and I've seen lots of different berries up and down the coast.
yummy they sound.

 
At 5/8/08 11:23, Blogger sallywrites said...

Thank you for the post script! So really, it' possibly quite similar in taste to a loganberry but slightly more on the raspberry side?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home