Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Arriving in Toronto

As you will have gathered from the less than subtle clues I have just returned from a holiday in Canada and Toronto to be precise. The flight was pretty uneventful. We (I went with my friend Tina) flew Air Canada and we were pleasantly surprised that there was actually quite a lot of leg room. The less said about the food the better, dried and overcooked salmon with tasteless vegetables is not exactly cordon bleu!!
Just to set the scene -we stayed with an ex-work colleague who became a friend during the five years we worked together. Although Kim is English she went to live in Canada when she left school only returning between 2000-05 when her first marriage broke down. She is now very settled and happily planning to re-marry later this month. So even with all the last minute wedding preparations, and her family arriving next week, she still welcomed us and gave us a brilliant holiday.

The first thing we noticed on arriving was, the heat, it was so hot and humid it reminded me of Florida but with air conditioning it was not really a problem. Kim lives about 45 minutes from centre of Toronto, in Markham, and I can see why she has a better standard of living here than in England.
The equivalent house in England would cost at least twice as much.
She has a lovely park area just a few yards from her house which is ideal for her son as they do not have a very big garden.
Although the back of the house is small, as you can see she has space to relax and she has made it very attractive with all the plants.
This is Kim with her son (who was a bit shy when we first arrived but he soon got used to us) and her fiance, who is a really lovely guy.
Kim opened her own nursery school a year ago. She runs it on her Church premises and we went along on the last day of term to join in the celebrations organised by the Church staff.
This is Kim with her nursery staff. I can tell you that ice cream cake was absolutely delicious and it set the pattern for nearly two weeks of bad eating but more of that another day!
On Thursday I will show you photos of our visit to the historic village of Unionville which is a short drive from where K lives.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 10/7/07 14:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get to do any shopping in the "Underground" in Toronto? So much fun. It's been years since I have been there.

 
At 10/7/07 14:37, Blogger Molly said...

Chris, this is a wonderful post about your trip. Too bad the weather was humid; summer days in Toronto can be rather pleasant.

 
At 10/7/07 14:48, Blogger Beccy said...

The cake looks yummy, looking forward to reading more about your trip.

 
At 10/7/07 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!
How nice to be able to visit friends like that, looking forward to more pictures.

 
At 10/7/07 16:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

nikki Kim told us about it but we only went to the Eaton Centre.

mjd as we left to fly home it was getting even hotter.

beccy next one will be Thurs.

lisa we've been invited back anytime she wants to take us further afield next time so I need to get saving!

 
At 10/7/07 16:08, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The heat and humidity in summer in southern Ontario can be very trying. Okay, I'll bet you went to The Falls, but I am curious about what else.

 
At 10/7/07 16:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC now however did you guess that!!- we spent three nights there.

 
At 10/7/07 17:56, Blogger Steffi said...

Very beautiful pictures!I enjoyed to read.But I can understand you -the heat is nothing for me too!

 
At 10/7/07 18:04, Blogger FH said...

Some parts of Toronto city is almost like India too,we were there for a week few years back.Did you visit that part?(I forgot the name!)
Very nice photos,I like her backyard too,although small.Looks like a grat neighborhood.
Her fiance looks like Indian too!:))
Looking forward to more.

 
At 10/7/07 18:20, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed it Chris. Love the pics!

 
At 11/7/07 00:33, Blogger Barbara said...

Welcome back Chris. Sounds like a fun holiday.

 
At 11/7/07 01:58, Blogger theotherbear said...

Sounds like a lovely holiday. My hubby is from Toronto so it is a place of interest to us! Makes me wonder if the housing prices are also cheaper in TO than in Sydney...

 
At 11/7/07 02:17, Blogger Pamela said...

airplane food is... well... it is airplane food.

(I try to carry some fruit with me in my carry on)

I've not been to Toronto but my hubby has.

 
At 11/7/07 03:42, Blogger frannie said...

her house is adorable!

 
At 11/7/07 05:56, Blogger my4kids said...

That sounds like fun visiting friends in another country!

 
At 11/7/07 08:27, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I like her house a lot...brick houses are very rare around my parts. Unless they are very old, and in a city that is only 103 there aren't that many old houses. I've heard it's very humid out east, we are lucky enough to get the great weather (usually) without much of the humidity.

Looking forward to seeing more of your holiday pics!

 
At 12/7/07 06:45, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

What a wonderful trip! I'd love to go to Canada one day, it looks so pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home