Thursday, March 01, 2007

Happy St David's Day



Today the Welsh will be celebrating Saint David's Day (Welsh: Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant) as it is the feast day of Saint David, the patron saint of Wales. I just wanted to wish them a happy day. I was able to take a picture of daffidils growing in my garden but unfortunately no room to grow leeks, both are symbols of St David. However, I did find a picture to post I think you'll agree they look pretty.



My husband works with some Welsh miners and I would particularly like to say to them have a Happy St David's Day

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1/3/07 11:01, Blogger Beccy said...

Glad you're celebrating the national day of your neighbouring country.

 
At 1/3/07 11:38, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. That's really sweet. But.... St David, why leeks??

 
At 1/3/07 12:15, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy I couldn't let it go without a mention

little miss moi I'm not really sure it might be something to do with both daffs and leeks having similar names (there is a little history behind the link)

 
At 1/3/07 15:45, Blogger Beccy said...

Daffodils, leeks don't get the similarity there.

 
At 1/3/07 18:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy this is what it says in Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (The association between leeks and daffodils is strengthened by the fact that they have similar names in Welsh, Cenhinen (leek) and Cenhinen Bedr (daffodil, literally "Peter's leek").)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home